- On April 1, 2010, the Governor signed an Executive Order transferring the Department of Juvenile Justice (which runs youth correctional facilities) to the Department of Children and Family Services. This order is linked below.
- On July 29, 2010, Models for Change released its Report on Behavioral Health Services inside the Illinois Department of Juvenile Justice juvenile prisons. That report is linked below.
- On November 3, 2010 suit was filed against various officials of the State of Illinois alleging that the State was failing to comply with requirments of the Emergency Periodic Screening Detection and Treatment Act (EPSDT) by failing to provide needed mental health services to indigent children. A copy of the complaint is linked below.
- Under the guidance of Michal Gelder, a work group had been created to address gaps in services under the EPSDT prgoram in Illinois.
- The John Howard Association serves as the court-appointed monitor of conditions at the Cook County Juvenile Detention Center. This recently issued a report on progress and continuing problems at the facility. The report is linked below.
- On October 1, 2010, the Illinois Institute for Juvenile Research celebrated its 100 birthday. A brief article about this occassion by Summit member Eileen Subak is linked below.
- On December 1, 2010, the Illinois Childhood Trauma Coaltion released its white paper on chidlhood trauma. That report is linked below
- On December 1, 2011, the United States Government Accounting Office (GA0) release a report on the use of psychotropic medications in foster care.
- The state has dramatically reduced the availability of Individual Care Grants to support care for children and adolescents with the most serious mental illnesses. ICG Brief 101813 Final
The Mental Health Summit supported the creation of the Illinois Children’s Mental Heatlh Partnership and supports it plans for improving mental health services for children and adolescents in Illinois. The partnershipe was created by the Childrens Mental Health Act of 2003. Every year the Partnership issues an annual report. (Click here for the FY2009 report.)
Institute of Medicine Report: “Preventing Mental, Emotional, and Behavioral Disorders Among Young People: Progress and Possibilities” (February 13, 2009)
Institute of Medicine Report “Depression in Parents, Parenting, and Children: Opportunities to Improve Identification, Treatment, and Prevention” (june 10, 2009
Because of the lack of adequate mental health services in the community, large numbers of children and adolescents end up in the juvenile justice system where there receive inadeqaute care. Click here for a recent (October, 2009) report from the John Howard Association concerning conditions at the Illinois Youth Center at St. Charles
“National Childrens Health Insurance Conference Toolkit” (US Department of Health and Human Services.